Sunday, December 1, 2013

Breezy Peonies

completed top of Breezy Peonies quilt
This was my first attempt at making an applique quilt.  It is actually a pieced and then appliqued quilt.  The large peony petals are pieced, then the rest of the block is embellished with applique.  It is a Laundry Basket pattern by Edyta Sitar titled "Prairie Peonies".  I altered the pattern by reversing the pattern on five blocks, so the peonies nod both ways.  I added a red inner border and made an extra wide outer border.
detail of Peony block

Detail of Peony block
I made the petals by strip-piecing 1-1/4" strips then cutting diamond shapes out of that.  Then sewed three diamonds together to make the block.  I made all these blocks first and applique was added later.

It took me about a year to make.  This was my handwork in the evenings after dinner.  When I had to stop working in my sewing room, I could come upstairs and do my handwork.  It was fun to do because all the blocks are different.

detail of label on Breezy Peonies quilt
I had it professionally quilted by Christina Boverman.  She did a beautiful job.  She made the background look like a pebbled wall, used rainbow thread for veins in the leaves, with feathers in the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment