Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sun Bonnet Sue & Rain Bonnet Boy

Sun Bonnet Sue &  Rain Bonnet Boy quilt
This is one of my first quilts.  I think I made this in 1975.  I didn't know anything about quilting.  The appliques were done with a straight stitch on a sewing machine, and they have no arms or hands, because they were so small I just didn't do them.  The quilt has 2 layers of batting (I wanted it to be puffy).  I tied it using yellow embroidery floss, and its quilted in big rectangles that I did on the machine.  I bound it by taking the backing and folding it over the edge.  Its only good as a wall hanging because its so stiff from the extra layer of batting.  My quilting skills have improved dramatically since then.  The fabrics were the only calico prints I could find at the time - everything else was polyester.

This quilt is now in Alaska with Scott and Dalena. 

No comments:

Post a Comment